Here is a great recipe to snack without feeling guilty i.e. homemade energy bar recipe with bananas, sunflower seeds and raisins.
They are deliciously chewy and filled with all the fiber and mineral goodness you need especially if you are going for a sporting activity. And they are cheap and very easy to make (you only 1 bowl and 1 wooden spoon).
This recipe is just a basic recipe. You can make your own variations by inter-mixing nuts, cereals, fruits, etc. Also, if you are tired of having a "bar" shape, you can simply roll them into balls. These bars can be kept up to 5 days without refrigeration in air-tight containers.
Servings: 12 bars
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 25 minutes
You can toast the cut bars in a toaster oven for a crispy outside.
1 over-ripe large (1/2 cup) banana, mashed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cup quick-cooking oats
1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
1/4 cup honey
1 egg, beaten
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1. Preheat oven to 350ÂºF/180ÂºC.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine mashed bananas, sugar, honey, oil, egg and vanilla. Mix until well combined.
3. Add in flour, oats, raisins, sunflower seeds and salt, and mix well.
4. Pour mixture into a greased square baking pan, and spread evenly.
5. Bake for 25 minutes. Allow to cool completely before removing from pan and cutting into bars.